Wargaming Tradecraft: Postapocalyptibuggy [part 8]

Postapocalyptibuggy [part 8]

The ongoing chronicle and my first attempt at posting Work In Progress shots, this is my entry for the Massive Voodoo Mad Max Car Competition. I'll list them all on my Step by Step page, or you can view the current WIP series.




Can't forget to glue the mirrors on.

The way the mirrors work is there's a couple chrome pieces that fit in there. I'll glue them on after painting.
I've built some guards for the wheel wells, since I've raised the vehicle and, well, armour's good. Strips of harder paper glued together make the guards. I cover them a couple times with white (PVC) glue, smoothing them out with your finger. I had intended this to make a good painting surface, but after a couple coats, the glue still was a little rough from the paper. Plan B is, I coated them in modelling putty, and once they're good and dry will smooth everything out.


If there's one thing I can't afford in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, it's to have my gas siphoned off and stolen. To protect my gas tank, I created a lock by squishing up some small fencing.
A little bit of metal working next. Using a pipe cutter (instructions to follow in another tutorial) I cut out two sections of small pipe. The first gets turned into a stove, with full instructions in a welding tutorial later. The second into a storage barrel. To close up the ends, I first make four cuts, then use pliers to square them out. This lets me then fold the flaps in and close things up.



A note on the stove: All credit goes to TheWife for the stove. It was her idea, and it is awesome. Life conspired and she's not able to create her Mad Max car for the competition, but still wants to create it at some point. So, in homage, I've added my own stove to my vehicle. (Though she wants to create a pot-bellied stove)

If you have nothing better, sections of sprue make for good firewood. That was my plan A, but I found some other stuff that'll work much better - I'll show that later.

The sleeping bag is made with a piece of paper, folded a bunch and glued together. We'll see how it turns out.


Good thing there's no police in the far future, cause a broken taillight can be hard to replace when spare parts aren't handy. Some strong melting and a pole run through the area creates a really strong dent. But as you can see in the middle picture, things do look a little melty. In the final picture on the right, I'll scraped things to smooth it out.


Here's how things are going:


I'm going to try a different technique for the rear wheel wells.

Cutting some paper to size (little larger for bending) will create the cover. I'll glue this on, one side at a time. After, fold the top in and make the well.

1 comment:

  1. Lookin' pretty good. I've been enjoying watching this piece evolve.
    Good call with the wood cooking stove. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments civil and language appropriate for a child-safe environment.