I've tried some pretty unique techniques in this first phase of painting, and it's coming together pretty well. I expect to be done by Sunday. (fingers crossed)
The first thing I've done is applied a few layers of washes... that's it. No paint. His black pants got 2 layers of black wash, and his darker brown chest / back / head got Devlan Mud, Black, then another Mud.
As I'm trying to experiment with some new things, I hop directly to pigments. (powders that you brush on, like make-up) I do this, because it's the best way I've found to make black look good, and actually highlighted.
So on top of the above wash, I've brushed on black, grey and white pigments, which blend so smoothly.
You still need to brush them on with the same amount of control as if you're painting... it's not dry-brushed on.
You'll also notice the transition from grey/blue to skin. Well, Mordecai's shirt doesn't cover all of his arms. The Vindicare wears a skin-tight suit, so I'm able to just paint each part how I like, which I'll trim to add definition.
Finally, I pigmented up some other areas... holsters, bags, gun barrel. I even used a soft green on the whole of the gun to ease off the camo.
Next step... I'll actually start painting ;)
With many thanks to MiniWarGaming and their crew for donating the miniatures that are being painted for this project.
Final figures will be auctioned off, all proceeds going to the Childs Play charity during the Headshots from the Heart marathon.