Wargaming Tradecraft: Madrak [4] WIP - painting begins

Madrak [4] WIP - painting begins

Painting has begun!!!

Yes, three exclamation points of excitement.

I've got this fun one-day tourney coming up, and while the armies don't have to be painted, there's a single figure (from the army) painting competition - and I want to be ready.

With that said, here's the beginning of Thrall, leader of the Hordebloods, coming to life!
I've been using a lot of Privateer Press Paints (P3) so if you don't recognize a name, that's where it's from.

Another important thing of note is that I've been using 1 water : 1 : slow-dri : 1 blending medium to maybe 1 part or so paint... basically a heavy wash... to thin down these paints as I go. This makes them blend better, and is why some of it has a bit of a glossy finish. (Which between pigments and varnish will go away)


Starting (obviously) with black primer...

A tip that I picked up from Ron is to paint the eyes first. Do this, because it's easy to paint outside the lines in fine areas like this. Since the face isn't painted yet, you can just easily repaint around the eyes after.

Pic 1, shows the eyes painted, and a few light (watered) coats of Catachan Green painted over most of the surface, except the deepest recesses.

Pic 2, has a coating of Iosan Green to brighten things up a little.

Pic 3... well, I got carried away and didn't take pictures of every step. Why? I was in a groove and as I blend it's pretty tricky to take a pic of every step.

Here I've highlighted from Iosen to Wurm Green mixing a couple steps. I then highlighted with Wurm Green + Necrotite Green

A tip I've seen around is to wash with a slightly off colour. (Think about our skin - washing with something reddish instead of a brown) So I used Turquoise Ink which was required to tone back the Necrotite Green.

Pic 4, I've highlighted up past the ink again, using a few layers of all previous greens, then some Wurm Green + Rotting Flesh and finally a touch of just Rotting Flesh.

His grin is courtesy of some Hammerfall Khaki, Menoth White, an Ogryn Flesh wash, then the tips brightened a little with Elf Flesh and White.

Pic 5, I've started the NMM Gold with a layer of Battlefield Brown, which you can see half covered with Snakebite Leather.

Pic 6, I lightened the Snakebite shade with some Bubonic Brown.

Pic 7, I began highlighting the gold using Bubonic and Cygnus Yellow.

Pic 8, I've found P3 paints don't get quite as bright as some of the GW colours, so you still need to keep GW Red, Yellow, Green, Orange around to get some really strong colours.

For this reason I do a final highlight with some Bad Moon Yellow.

Pic 9, I tone all this down with an Ogryn Flesh wash.





Next up, I may use some Bad Moon + a flesh tone or white to lighten some of the edges... or just highlight with Cygnus Yellow.

I'm also thinking his little scroll cases shouldn't be gold-capped. Maybe some kind of bronze or brass... I think I can accomplish this with either a few washes or really thinned paints. We will see.

My apologies, as the last few pics turned out rather dark, which you can tell by comparing his face to when I finished.



Seeing this beginning... and I gotta say I'm getting excited. It's good to put some paint to brush while in the middle of a heavy conversion project... it convinces you that all the effort is going to pan out... that you're not just putting a ton of effort into a build to see it fall flat when you start painting.

Stay tuned for more updates as I work on this model over the next few weeks.


Take a look at my Step by Step page for the entire Hordebloods project.

Here you will find each model broken down into links showing each step:
Concept, Works in Progress, (for both modelling and painting) and Final Shots

1 comment:

Please keep all comments civil and language appropriate for a child-safe environment.