Wargaming Tradecraft: Postapocalyptibuggy [part 3]

Postapocalyptibuggy [part 3]

The ongoing chronicle and my first attempt at posting Work In Progress shots, this is my entry for the Massive Voodoo Mad Max Car Competition. I'll list them all on my Step by Step page, or you can view the current WIP series.



I worked on these two parts today. the Rear wheel assembly and the dashboard.

I still had to rough up the spare tire. In the far future, spares are still going to be worn.

I've circles trying to cut the tire, but it's too obvious. Unnatural.

Instead I use a file (top right) and go to town wearing the tracks down. I've decided to paint the caps and the wheels, and don't want the chrome, so I glue the wheel together after scratching it up some more.
The rear axle thingy (That's it's technical term, I'm pretty sure... I don't know vehicles at all) needed a cap glued in place, and I used some extra glue to make it appear welded shut.
The, quote, "rear axle thingy" comes with brackets to appear held down.

Not much to do here, but I slice off some bolts anyway. The holes are probably stripped.

Since I raised the front of the truck up, I have to do the same at the rear. The rear axle thingy ends up stretched out across these center of these two pieces. Pictured top is the normal one, and below it another creative use of fire from a torch. Apply a little quick heat to either side of the center part (one at a time) then bend it slightly to the desired position. Hold them side by side while doing the second one to make them match.


Below is the finished rear axle construction. Notice the supports aren't fully aligned - this is fine in this sort of project as things are supposed to be old and bent out of shape.


At this point, I fit the engine in, which works! I'm supposed to run the drive shaft (?) which I glue in, but I pull the engine back out. For painting reasons, I'd rather put it in later.
What does every car in the post apocalyptic winter need? That's right, fuzzy steering wheel cover.

I apply a bunch of Liquitex Blended Fiber gel (available at most art stores or by another brand name) around the wheel, then use one of my dentist picks and tease / pull the gel outward.

This'll take a while to dry, so we move on to other things.
Finally, I decide to add an anti-theft device and open up the glove compartment.

For the glove box, it's a matter of carefully and patiently running my knife along the crease over and over, then using the serrated one to cut up to it. (Leaving the bottom right attached)

This bottom right section I heat up so I can simply open the glove box.

As the final touch, a bolter sticking out of the glove compartment, "Just incase."

2 comments:

  1. Love the boltgun in the glovebox. Looking really good so far. Can't wait to see the body work you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' pretty good so far Dave. Can't wit to see the end result. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments civil and language appropriate for a child-safe environment.