First off, now that the putty dried, I can go back and finish cleaning up the engine from my first part. Things are mostly smoothed out, though I've left some areas a little rough.. it's an old engine after all.
Here's the next section I'll be working on. The undercarriage and front wheel wells.
supposed to attach.
Look how nice and boring that is. In the harsh post apocalyptic climate, that's going to take some work. I'm thinking, I'll lower all that, so the truck is raised up.
It's that added touch of realism we're going after.
(more on the welding later)
The following is why having a selection of knife bits is handy. To lower (raise?) the suspension, I cut the sides out of the frame.
This is going to have to change as well. To keep things roughly parallel, I'll glue those two side parts up top where they are after bending the larger middle section down.
The middle section also has a tab for support to keep it up top. That just gets cut off.
There's a few ugly spots, but once everything dries, I'll fill that with putty, then clean it up.
Time for a little fire from my handy friend the butane torch.
I figure the truck's been through a lot. So, there's going to be a lot of dents and bends. What better a way than to actually dent and bend it?
Apply a little bit of heat, use a metal tool to push on the plastic, wait for it to harden, repeat. I tried tapping on areas with a small metal tool to create a hammered look, but too much of the plastic becomes malleable, so the effect doesn't really work.
Be very careful about how much heat you apply. Only a little bit is actually needed; you shouldn't see the heat affect the plastic before pulling the torch away - apply heat, remove it.. learn how much you need to make the plastic moldable.
I even drilled a few holes, then heated them up to smooth / naturalize them. I was even able to pull (stretch) the holes around a little.
You can also see some cleaner "welds" on the frame just to the right of the tank.